Monday, July 22, 2013

The best wine I've ever tasted?

Someone asked me the other day what my all-time favorite wine was, and I didn't have an answer. It got me thinking, though. What is the best wine I've ever had? Now, I've only been into wine for 6-7 years so it's not like I've sampled thousands and thousands of wines, but I have been fortunate enough to taste some great (and expensive) ones.

I've had some great wines on vacation in Vegas; I had dinner with a couple friends at Japonais in the Mirage and we split an incredible (and incredibly expensive) Bordeaux blend. That bottle of 1995 Barolo from Gordon Ramsey Steak that I've talked about in previous blog entries would have to be up there as well. And I also had a fabulous Pinot Noir from a California winery called George at Prime Steakhouse in Bellagio.

And there have been some pretty brilliant wines from BC as well. Le Vieux Pin makes an amazing 2007 Merlot Reserve ($75) which I've had a couple times (and am lucky enough to have a bottle in my collection). And the Reference from Blackwood Lane ($99) that I tried at a tasting a few days ago would have to be up there as well.

The first bottle of Quails' Gate Reserve Chardonnay (2005 I believe) was outstanding and would probably be at the top of the "best white" list. And then how about some of the amazing ice wine? The Quails' Gate Riesling Icewine is akin to heaven in a bottle.

But if I had to choose one? Just one wine that would make the top of my list? I'd have to go back to our dinner at Victoria and Albert's in Orlando, and this would be the winner:

2008 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.silveroak.com/wines/alexander

Silver Oak knows Cabernet Sauvignon; it's all they do, in fact. Ironically their wine from the Alexander Valley is the "cheap" one! It sells for a little over $100/bottle and is available up here somewhere (haven't found it yet). Their Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is suppose to be even better, and it sells for a little over $150/bottle. It's also available up here (not in Chilliwack I don't think, but somewhere in the Vancouver area), and it's one that will be going into my collection once I track it down.

Rating: 9.5/10

In September of 2014 we are planning on driving down to California, and we'll be detouring on a wine tour; first through the Willamette Valley of Oregon, and then to Napa Valley. We WILL be stopping at Silver Oak and I would suspect we will be leaving that winery with a few more bottles than we arrived with. We just may have to drink them during our trip, but I'll be sure to report on them here :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment