Sunday, July 28, 2013

Somebody help me, my Laundry is so, so Dirty

I've visited Dirty Laundry Vineyards in Summerland, BC, a couple of times. It's a beautiful winery, with terrific staff and a large selection of quality wines.

Tonight for dinner, I prepared a kick-ass grilled chicken sandwich, with bacon, on 3-cheese focaccia bread that was grilled in garlic butter. To compliment the sweetness of the bread, I opened up a 2012 Dirty Laundry Woo Woo Gewürztraminer.

Dirty Laundry makes three different Gewürztraminers. The "Woo Woo" is in the middle of the three in terms of sweetness. I get hints of cloves amongst the tropical fruits on the nose. On the palate this wine satisfies my passion for off-dry white wines, without being overbearing. Fruity and crisp, if you like a sweeter white wine, this is for you.

Rating: 7/10

This isn't actually my favorite of their three offerings in this varietal; their Madam's Vines is the sweetest of the three and given my preference for sweet whites, is naturally my favorite. The floral notes are staggering and overpowering, and I mean that in a good way. It's a fabulous wine to enjoy while sitting on the patio watching the world go by.

Rating: 7.5/10

The third of the trilogy is the Threadbare Vines, and I can't really rate the 2012 version as I haven't tried it yet; The 2011 version was good but it is by far the driest of the three, so it's not the one I would personally pick up. If you are a fan of a drier Gewürztraminer, however, you would likely enjoy this one.

All three retail for around $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment