Friday, September 6, 2013

All Canadian Gold Winners, Part 1

Sardis Park VQA is featuring Canadian Gold Medal winners this weekend. Let's get right to today's tasting:

Church & State 2012 TreBella

An enticing blend of Marsanne, Roussanne and Viognier, the TreBella has a beautiful floral nose that gives way to hints of apricot and peach, with a flinty minerality at the finish. This would be a perfect compliment to most seafood dishes or an evening with friends on the patio. At $20.90, it's a solid value.

Rating: 6.5/10




Arrowleaf 2012 Snow Tropics Vidal



This is one of the best sellers every month (THE best seller three or four months in a row if memory serves), and I have to say I think it's a bit overrated. It's good - don't get me wrong - and if you like sweeter whites, you may enjoy this (apparently everyone but me loves it, given the lofty sales). But as someone who LOVES sweeter whites, this one just doesn't measure up to others. It's very affordable, $16.05, so maybe that has something to do with it's popularity.

Rating: 5.5/10










Moon Curser 2010 Dead of Night

Medium bodies with notes of plum and cherry on the nose which continue through to the palate. The finish brings a hint of smokiness to enhance the fruit flavors. It has a very balanced acidity, and could probably be enhanced with another year or two in the bottle. At almost $38, it's hard for me to recommend it over reds in that price range. In fact, I'd recommend you save a few bucks and buy the next one on my list.

Moon Curser does have some of the best bottles in the industry, as this picture proves.

Rating: 5.5/10






Quinta Ferreira 2008 Obra-Prima $34.90

You get notes of black cherry on the nose, but it comes with something different.....something I couldn't put my finger on, I confess. After checking out the tasting notes, I got it; bell pepper!! That's not something I can remember experiencing before. This wine has a delicate, fruity balance, which finishes off with a touch of spice. Very smooth.

Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment