Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Pentage by any other name.....

....would still be Pentage....

A few days ago I posted that I had eaten the best meatloaf I had ever tasted, using a recipe I got from my favorite wine cookbook. We used a Wolf Blass Shiraz in the recipe which was excellent, but the recipe actually specifically called for a wine called Pentage, which is the signature red blend from the winery called, not coincidentally, Pentage.

The day after eating this fine meatloaf, I was in my local VQA wine store when I noticed that particular wine. They had 2006 and 2007 in stock, so as someone that loves it when wine is already aged for me, I picked up a 2006 to try it out.


Pentage Winery 2006 Pentage

A blend of Cab Sauvignon, Merlot, Cab Franc, Syrah and Gamay.

Halfway between red and brown in colour, this complex red brings leather, tobacco, cedar, blackberries and a touch of spice to the nose. The berries stand out on the palate, bringing a very elegant and smooth finish. Absolutely ready to go right now; no need to further age, IMO. Fantastic. $30.90.

Rating : 7.5/10


Now that I know how good this wine is, I'll pick up another bottle the next time I want to make that meatloaf recipe and see if it even enhances it. We paired this bottle with filet mignon and it went very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment