Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Random post, stuff we've enjoyed (or not) in the past weeks, as we prepare for our next Okanagan trip!

I know, I know, it's been more than a month since my last blog post. I feel shame.

Home renos have sucked up all of my free time, but I'm going to try to get better. We just returned from a great weekend in the Okanagan so I have TONS to report on!

For now, a random sampling of stuff we have been drinking over the last couple of months, including this beautiful California Zin:



Hartford Family Winery 2014 Dina's Vineyard Zinfandel ($60 USD from winery)

Intense aromas of black fruit, mint, rosemary, black licorice and charred meats. Blueberry and plum dominate the palate, with notes of white pepper, blackberry and minerality. Dark, brooding and impressive. This winery just doesn't make bad wine. I had no idea Zinfandel could be this good. Very special stuff.


Cedarcreek 2016 Chardonnay ($18.99)
I generally don't open Chardonnay this early, but this one is always a reliable one to drink early, and this year is no exception. Aromas of peach, pear, red apple and just a touch of butter. The palate features a bit of juicy green apple, citrus and a bit of butterscotch on the finish.

Stag's Hollow 2013 Heritage Block ($23.99 from BC Liquor Stores)
Bordeaux-style blend features funky mushroom, violets and black fruit dominating the nose. Opens up nicely if you give it a nice decant or leave it in the glass. Blackberry, black licorice, cedar, vanilla and even a hint of tar reside on the palate if you look long enough.

Casale del Giglio 2015 Petit Manseng ($26.99 from BC Liquor Stores)

Originally enjoyed at the VIWF but I lost my notes on all my Italy wines. Aromatic notes of stone fruit, red apple, white flowers and a touch of spice. Apricot, apple and a flinty quality on the palate. Medium bodied with a nice finish. This grape is almost exclusively found in Southwest France; this is a delightful example of it from the Lazio region of Italy.
Church & State 2014 Pinot Noir ($20.00)

From their Brentwood Bay vineyard on Vancouver Island. Aromas of red cherry, raspberry, baking spices and earth. The palate is very light and almost has a watery quality. This is the second bottle of this I have tasted and neither left me wanting another one.
Church & State 2014 Signature Series Pinot Noir ($37.00)
Brooding black fruit on the nose, hints of red berries and earthiness. Less expressive on the nose than the above but much better on the palate. Blackberry, black cherry, raspberry and strawberry flavors with vibrant acidity. I would suggest this has even better days ahead of it.


Enough for tonight, and I promise to start the Okanagan wine trip blog this weekend, and hopefully I can get in 2 or 3 entries. So much great wine to report on!

No comments:

Post a Comment