Saturday, June 6, 2015

A relative newbie in the BC wine race comes to town.....

....a COMPLETE newbie to me, as I'm pretty sure I've never tasted anything from these guys, with the possible exception of their Merlot/Malbec blend that they weren't tasting today. They had just three wines to taste, so let's get right to it.

Moraine 2014 Viognier ($18.99)

Fruity nose of orange blossoms, minerals, apricots and a bit of melon. The melons and apricot are noticeable on the palate as well, with some citrus undertones. Crisp and dry and lovely. 88.







Moraine 2013 Pinot Noir ($24.99)

Floral notes of violets dominate the nose. Some cranberries, blackberries and licorice as well. Balanced acidity and juicy tannins. 89.








Moraine 2013 Malbec ($22.99)

One of my favorite BC Malbecs. Haunting aromas of blackberries, cherries and black currant. The fruit carries through on the palate with just a touch of spice on the long, beautiful finish. At this price point, a real steal. 89.





I got to chatting with Jim, the winery's VP of Sales, and he highly recommended their 2014 Riesling, of which the store had a few bottles in their cooler. In fact he gave me his business card and told me if I didn't like it, he'd make it up to me. We opened it up this afternoon.

Moraine 2014 Riesling ($19.99)

Citrus, pineapple and ginger on the nose. Fruity and delicious, with hints of pineapple that last all day long. Off dry but not really "sweet", somewhat reminiscent of a big bold Kabinett from Germany. We didn't like it, we loved it. We went back today and bought two more. 91.




Definitely a winery to watch, and when we finally get around to touring the Naramata region, we won't miss these guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment