Friday, August 30, 2013

My house smells like roses.....

Tonight's tasting, a small Kelowna winery called House of Rose. No accent on the Rose.....rose like the flower, not rose like the wine.

Tonight I met with Aura Rose, the winery owner and winemaker, for a very special, private tasting (if by "private" I mean "open to anyone who walked in the door"). All their wines are very reasonably priced. Here we go:


2011 Riesling


Hints of orange on the nose and palate, with a touch of spice on the finish. Refreshing, but like most BC Riesling's, too dry for me to go crazy over. Having said that, this is one of my favorite BC Rieslings. $17.89.

Rating: 6.5/10




2012 Have A Cool Splash

A blend of Riesling, Pinot Gris and Ortega; none my favorite grapes, but this wine is bigger than the sum of it's parts. Light, fruity, and delicious. An excellent summer patio sipper at $18.90.

Rating: 7/10





2010 Marechal Foch $18.86

Deep and rich, fruity and robust, and quite good. Would pair beautifully with big red meats, smoked meats, and cold cuts. Foch is not generally my thing, but this one could change my mind.

Rating: 6.5/10




2012 Have a Hot Flash

Medium bodied mix of Foch and Shiraz (is it just me that thinks that is a strange combo??) is a top seller and won a Gold Medal at the 2012 Pacific Northwest Wine Competition. It's slightly sweet without being actually SWEET, if you get my meaning....and it's darn good. I picked up a bottle of this which is a great deal at just under $20. I'll be quite interested to see how my wife, who doesn't like Foch OR Shiraz, reacts to this one.

Rating: 7/10



2006 Vintage Okanagan Port

Silver Medal Winner at the aforementioned competition, it's much smoother and less intense than most port style wines. Port wines are not the kind of dessert wines I generally like, but this one is much better than most. And at $29.93, it's a good value for a dessert wine.

Rating: 6/10




It's not often I get to try five wines and like them all; even more unusual considering that not a single one of these wines features my favorite grapes. This is a winery to watch, and I'll be visiting them on my next trip to Kelowna for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment